Thursday, February 12, 2009

grasshopper you have much to learn

They're not asking much really: 5x100 meter sprints followed by 5x200 meter sprints, with 1 minute rest periods between each cycle. I get out of the blocks quickly on the first 4 runs or so. I wonder what my dust tastes like. Got Nathans running on either side of me. How's it going, I'm Loren, nice to meet you. Later boys. I'm good like that generally. Yep, I'm pretty much the life of the party when I get going, making connections, putting myself out there, don't let my Kiwi southern drawl fool you, I'm just lulling you into a false sense of security before I pounce. I don't want to get too self congratulatory, but I'm pretty much the man.

Ahem.

Cough.

OK.

As I was saying I was running and sometimes I find myself moving back to front here on the field, sometimes here I start fast and finish crap. I blitz the rest of the boys for the first few 100s and before I know it my body runs out of ATP stores and I go into coast mode for the rest of the evening. Gold coast mode, like she's right mate, no worries. I believe it was the honourable Vince Lombardi who said "Fatigue makes cowards out all of us." ATP can be replaced no matter how depleted, but bad habits aren't so easily reversed. Fatigue what have you done to me?!? As the "sprints" wore on I found myself inclined to decide before they even began, hey I'm gonna dog it on this one. Yet if I decided otherwise I could have gone a lot better. Friends, esteemed colleagues, children of the revolution this is no way to live life. "Save secondary efforts for secondary occasions." I came here to do one thing and that was to be the best. To be my best. Maybe I'm not quite the man I thought I was. Not yet, but it's coming, oh yeah baby it's coming. Next training's gonna be seick mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment