Monday, March 23, 2009

when in Mexico



I watch this and my nausea explodes in a bright spectrum of colours like light passing through a prism. 

Here's a meme that's probably run its course, but you can never be too sure, lets perpetuate its ubiquity just a little more. Yes, lets... During the 1968 Olympics in Mexico a series of rigorous tests were carried out on a sample of athletes from different sports. Vertical jump, horizontal leap(?), and a 10 meter sprint were all tested (and probably others), all the key athletic indicators. The weightlifters won everything, beating the sprinters at sprinting, the high jumpers at jumping etc. Therefore: I should be weightlifting! For the uninitiated this means: the Clean & Jerk and the Snatch, all other lifts (except the squat) are of secondary importance. Most personal trainers (in spite of the evidence) will disagree with this assessment.

I've just finished cleaning up my mess. For the last five years on and off I've been doing power versions of THE LIFTS. Then I see high school attendees doing full depth versions with incredible poundages (because you get so low to catch the weight on the real versions of THE LIFTS, theoretically you should be able to lift far more weight then the power versions, more weight is good). It's about time I started doing things properly:

Saturday 21/03/09
hang clean/front squat complex 40, 45, 50*5
clean 60,65,70,75,80,85,90,95,97.5,100 (so I can clean as much as I can power clean, what gives?)

Sunday 22/03/09
Played game, felt totally smashed, only broke a few tackles and even missed a few, don't lift the day before a game ever again. We won 60 something to 10ish, I lost count along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment